Call Walter at 512-540-1981 for more info! Own a piece of history! Historic building, built in 1936, and was previously the Wied Hardware Store. This building has a coveted Texas historical marker designation. It could be used for any type of business from retail to dining. Great location in the "Dutchtown" area of Cameron, and just across the road from several local-favorites. The building is approximately 3,600 square feet and boasts much of the original time-period materials. From solid wood floors, tin ceiling tiles, and rolling shelf ladders, this property is full of stories from almost a century of business. In the rear is an 840 square foot add-on area that could be used for storage. Road frontage on two sides, and ample public parking spots for customers.
From a Temple Daily Telegram article:
"This old hardware store brags about its old age, boasting a classic, Western street facade with its showy false front, pressed tin ceiling, elongated, rectangular frame structure, and solid wooden decking inside. Today, this architectural, commercial museum piece is implanted firmly in a side of town that once represented a microcosm of an eastern European-style market place patronized most of its life by throngs of Germans and Czechs living in Milam County. "
Historical marker text:
ALBERT J. MATOCHA WAS BORN IN AUSTRIA-HUNGARY IN 1876 AND IMMIGRATED TO TEXAS WITH HIS FAMILY AS A YOUNG BOY; THE FAMILY MADE THEIR HOME IN THE NEARBY COMMUNITY OF BURLINGTON. AS A YOUNG MAN, MATOCHA BEGAN WORKING FOR THE LAW AND SPRINKEL HARDWARE FIRM, AND HE OPENED HIS OWN HARDWARE STORE IN 1898 IN THE AREA OF CAMERON KNOWN AS DUTCHTOWN, IN A BUILDING OWNED BY FRANK MONDRIK. MATOCHAS STORE FLOURISHED, BUT SUFFERED A HARSH SETBACK IN 1920, WHEN A FIRE SEVERELY DAMAGED THE HARDWARE BUILDING. DETERMINED TO CONTINUE OPERATIONS, MATOCHA PROCURED A NEARBY DANCE HALL, AND USED THE STRUCTURE TO REPAIR THE REMAINS OF THE BURNED BUILDING. MATOCHA CONTINUED TO SUCCESSFULLY OPERATE THE STORE UNTIL HIS DEATH IN 1945. IN 1946, ERWIN LEE WIED PURCHASED THE BUSINESS AND INVENTORY, WHILE THE BUILDING REMAINED UNDER THE OWNERSHIP OF THE MONDRIKS UNTIL 2002. WIED CONTINUED TO PROVIDE THE CITIZENS OF CAMERON AND THE SURROUNDING AREA WITH MANY OF THE TOOLS AND SUPPLIES NECESSARY FOR THE SUCCESSFUL OPERATION OF A FARM OR HOUSEHOLD. BECAUSE OF THE STORES LONG EXISTENCE, IT WAS WELL-KNOWN FOR ITS EXTENSIVE INVENTORY. WIED ALSO MANAGED A TIN SHOP BEHIND THE HARDWARE STORE, WHERE EDWARD REYNOLDS CREATED ORNATE TIN WORK THAT CAN STILL BE FOUND THROUGHOUT THE AREA. AFTER WIEDS DEATH IN 1986, FAMILY MEMBERS CONTINUED TO OPERATE THE STORE UNTIL 1990, WHEN THE DECISION WAS MADE TO CLOSE ITS DOORS. THIS RECTANGULAR-PLAN COMMERCIAL BUILDING FEATURES A FALSE FRONT WITH STEPPED PARAPET, HORIZONTAL WOOD SIDING, AND TIN COVERING THE FULL-LENGTH PORCH AND PAIR OF PARALLEL GABLE ROOFS.